Sunday, April 12, 2009

Creating A "Wicked" Resume

Brick Wall: The resume

The 785th version of my resume is complete. I've had numerous contacts critique it, and I feel confident that it's a solid and strong representation of me. The brick wall isn't down yet though...for example, my address in itself is one of the bricks in this wall. A recruiter I spoke with recommended that I add a Chicago address to my resume, so I got permission from my friend to use hers. Yet, I don't want to remove my current address because I believe that would be misleading. Also, the name of the city I currently live in is part of my company's name, so it's obvious that I do not live in Chicago at this time. Therefore, my resume lists two addresses, with the one from Chicago labeled "local" and my current one labeled "temporary" (alright, perhaps it is a tad bit misleading). But implementing this suggestion only adds to the brick wall...

After submitting my resume to many positions, I haven't received responses from the majority of them. This is typical of a job search, I understand, but I suspect that one reason this is happening is because employers do not want to deal with someone from out-of-the-area. And so, because my "temporary" address is still listed I fear that all of the hard work, effort and hope that I've put in the two pages is ending up in the wastebasket instead of in front of the hiring manager. (sigh)

I won't delete my current address until I actually move. All I can do is hope and pray that they will get beyond the address and review my qualifications and experience. This process (the job search) overall can be quite time-consuming and disappointing along the way. That's why it's important to maintain a positive outlook no matter what. There is a song that's become somewhat of a personal anthem for me as I think about the major changes that will be taking place in my life soon, changes on many levels. It's "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked. I play it every time I am stressed out about my job search or the many drafts of my resume. In fact, it applies to many aspects of my life, and lifts my spirits each time I hear it. If you are also caught up in a job search, stay positive, and allow the words of this song to help you get through the tough times.


"Defying Gravity" (a shortened version of my favorite parts)

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincs, close my eyes, and leap

It's time to try defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity, and you can't pull me down

I'm through accepting limits, 'cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Too long I've been afraid of losing love, I guess I've lost
Well, if thats love, it comes at much too high a cost
I'd sooner buy defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye I'm defying gravity, and you can't pull me down

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately:"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo , at least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me,take a message back from me
Tell them how I am Defying gravity
I'm flying high, Defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in, all of Oz, no Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down

No comments:

Post a Comment