Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Goodbye Brick Wall!

As you may have already heard, I have formally accepted an offer to become the Marketing Director of RKON Technologies! This opportunity is exactly what I was looking for, and I feel incredibly blessed and thankful.

Tonight I was at a networking event and heard many job seekers introduce themselves. As a result of this process, the best advice I could give to them or anyone else in a job search is to make yourself truly stand out as a candidate.

  • Start a blog. If you don't know how, Google the phrase "how to start a blog". There are enough listings out there to help you, for free!
  • Expand your professional network by getting on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Again, if you don't know how to use these sites, you can access free tutorials on YouTube.
  • Create your own web site. I didn't get to finish mine (www.jennyweigle.com), but it was easy and cheap to start up. I recommend using the WebSite Tonight site builder from GoDaddy.com.
  • Network network network! I had four interviews during my job search, none of which were posted opportunities, so it's all about the networking.
I've met so many incredible people over the last two months, and I hope these friendships will only get stronger from here. My dream of living and working in Chicago is a reality. This brick wall may be down, but there will be others in my life. I won't stop here...this blog has been a great support for me and it always will be. Stay tuned for more on breaking my brick walls...

No comments:

Post a Comment