Friday, October 22, 2010

Wall After Wall After Wall...

Brick Wall: Too many brick walls!

My, how so much can change within two weeks!  I've had a number of brick walls come up since my last blog post, and I'm not going to go into detail about them.  There's been enough complaining on my part recently and it's time to turn the attitude around!  I debated on whether or not to even blog about this, but then I thought, "Isn't this the ENTIRE point of my blog? To share my challenges and hope my experiences will inspire others?"  YES!

What I really want to focus on in this post is what to do when you're feeling overwhelmed.  You may be facing one brick wall, and another after that, and then another.  It's so easy to fall into a rut about the entire situation (trust me, I've been there).  I'd like to share some things that are helping me get through my rut:


The wonderful people in my life
I'm so blessed to have friends and family I can turn to.  It's not easy to tell the people you love that you are in an extremely stressful time of your life.  For me, admitting this was like admitting defeat.  I'd like to think I'm the kind of person who can handle anything, but no, I need people who will help me get through it.  I've been given some great books (for previous occasions) that I've pulled out again recently (listed at the bottom of this post).  For the people who gave me these, you have no idea how much it's meant to me.  And for all of my friends and family who have taken the time to just listen to my problems...I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Prayer
I feel so fortunate that I have found a reconnection with God thanks to my new church.  I've been reminded of the power of prayer and of the importance of taking the time do it.  Thank you to those who have kept me in your prayers.  

Positivity - in every aspect
This is the MOST important time to surround yourself with positivity, in every part of your life. (I should be taking my own advice and engaging in this more often.)  Complete a vision board.  Put your favorite quotes up on your mirror or dresser.  If you're going to watch television, watch a positive show (my favorites for this are Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition).  If you're going to go somewhere, go to a place that inspires you (for me, this is going for a run on the lake path).  Seek the positive in everything you do, and you'll be reminded of the things that you are so lucky to have in your life.  Of course, my very favorite thing to do when I'm down is to rewatch "The Last Lecture", the very inspiration for this blog.

I'm sorry I'm not going to explain exactly what these brick walls are for me right now.  They're deeply personal, and I think it's a big step that I'm even mentioning this at all on my blog.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who goes through a very overwhelming time and to write about it is very therapeutic for me.  I assure you I'm in good health and still freelancing for Visible Vote, in case you were wondering.  Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope it was meaningful for you.

From my sister:













From my former coworker and dear friend:














From a "newer" friend, someone I recently met who has an incredible heart:

No comments:

Post a Comment